The large wine cellars of Candé were also very innovative. Covering over 1,000 sqm, they were equipped with three presses designed by Félix Marmonier, a renowned manufacturer in Lyon. These very powerful presses were called “American presses” because of their modernity. They were operated by wheels and belts, which were driven by a traction engine located outside.
Around 1930, a generator was installed on these devices to provide electricity (lighting). Only one man was required to control the press. Grape juice flowed directly into the settling tanks located under the presses, in the cellars. The storerooms and large vaulted cellar are located at a lower level, underneath the presses. The barrels were shipped by carts and railway.